Friday, October 31, 2008

Drawing on real life experience

Composing can be a very personal endeavour, drawing on emotions that one has or is experiencing. After having a rather difficult time these past coupple of months, I have developed a greater appreciation for this particular method of expression. I ended up using this first composition assignment as a way to deal with everything I have had on my mind since having to put life on hold for medical reasons.

Each of the three pieces will represent a different emotion that I have experienced quite recently. When my first piece was presented in class I was unsure how to describe it's overall character, but now I have been able to clarify it for myself as it being a depiction of frustration. The other two pieces, which at this time are not fully completed, will both be contrasting with the "first" character piece taking its place as the second of three.

As it is difficult to come up with titles for each of the three "movements" I have yet to determine what they will be. The piece as a whole on the other hand will be entitled "Bittersweet". I think that this is a perfect choice as it sums up the entire situation that I have endured this semester.

-Jill

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Blenis said...

Good to have you back with us Jill!

November 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Clark Ross said...

I agree with Jesse, it will be wonderful to have you back! I am really looking forward to hearing your pieces.

Do you have performers lined up? Let's try to set up readings of your music asap so that you can get some feedback from the class.

For an actual performance, I can think of a couple of options. One would be to book some recording time in PC Hall and record the first composition that way, and another would be to programme it on the final concert, along with your second composition if that were finished by then. If your second composition isn't finished by then it won't be a problem since you have been out of commission for so long. Either way, it would be nice to have your composition(s) performed publicly.

November 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Jill, so good to have you back friend. It's really cool to hear how your recent experiences have become a launching pad for your art.
I think that's a universal truth- that sometimes the most beautiful things arrive from less than appealing circumstances. For instance blues music (out of the slave trade). We've been talking a lot about it in Music of Africa and Americas.
Good luck on you pieces!

November 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home