Monday, November 24, 2008

What's in a name?

So the past week I've been in the process of giving titles to my character pieces. Believe it or not I have spent hours in trying to achieve this goal. It can be a very difficult thing to do! Probably even harder then composing the pieces themselves...well...almost...

It's just that after putting so much time and effort into composing a work that you are hopefully pleased with, figuring out the perfect title is not the easiest task. Sometimes a title can come to mind right away and you know its just right, if only it could always be that simple! After considering many possible words with particular meanings I think the thesaurus became my best friend.

I have finally come up with what I think to be appropriate titles for my two completed character pieces. They are "Fumbling in the Dark" and "The Sullied Jester". Now its back to the drawing board for my last piece of the three. Here's hoping that I can figure out a title before the recital Saturday. Wish me luck!

-Jill

1 Comments:

Blogger Clark Ross said...

Good luck! Wow, those are great titles; I especially like "the sullied jester"!

Since the class seemed to feel that the last piece fit the mood you had described in writing your second piece, a kind of 'in limbo' feeling, consider something that conveys that, like, say... "In Limbo"!

I mostly name my pieces after I finish them. I find I have to live with the finished piece for a while to get to know what it's really about. We did the same with our kids (not kidding!), but we only waited a few days.

November 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home